Archived Blog Post: June 19, 2005
Tom Watson has some good coverage of Mukhtaran Bibi. To review:
- Bibi's brother winds up in trouble.
- As punishment for her brother's transgressions, judges order Bibi gang raped.
- Then she's supposed to kill herself. Only, having far more than the shred of human dignity her assailants are obviously missing, she doesn't. Instead she speaks out.
- The government of Pakistan throws Bib in jail and cites the International "Look, a Bird!" Convention.
- The story grows.
- The government of Pakistan releases her, and says she's free to travel to the US to tell her tale. Only they won't return her passport.
Pakistan, Out Good Friend™ and Ally In The War On Terror™.
Thanks to Fred Wilson and Angelica at Battlepanda for bringing this to my attention.